We don’t normally write about every single yoga reference in pop culture – because there are A LOT these days – but while watching this year’s Emmy Awards our yogapop meter readings were off the charts, to where we started keeping track of all the yoga mentions. We know celebrities practice yoga – stars, they’re just like us! – but we admit it’s kind of fun to point out those times when their yoga seeps beyond the mat (and incessant paparazzi pics) onto the screen during some planned, and unplanned, celebriyogi moments. We are yogadorks, after all.
In case you missed it, your 2015 EmmYoga recap! Here’s what we learned…
1. LL Cool J likes to meditate.
Our ears first perked up during the E! pre-show when LL explained how he likes to take mini meditations during his lunch breaks on the set of NCIS: Los Angeles.
“At lunch time…I like to envision what I’m trying to do…and take a kind of a pseudo-nap/visualization moment just to hit the reset button and get my mind right.” – LL Cool J sharing his meditation moments with Ryan Seacrest on the Emmys red carpet. Doin’ it and doin’ it and doin’ it well.
2. The 2015 Emmys shall forever be known as “The Bikram Emmys,” thanks to Allison Janney.
So, it was HOT in LA the day of the Emmys and everyone was complaining about it. But actress Allison Janney spun the heat into her own award-winning yogapop moment deeming the event ”The Bikram Emmys” to Giuliana Rancic on the steamy red carpet (which was hopefully not as smelly as the hot yoga room carpet).
3. Mad Men’s meditating finale will live in infamy thanks to Andy Samberg’s spot on parody skills.
“I wonder if anyone noticed I took off for a few hours to meditate.” – Emmys host Andy Samberg sad in a nod to the Mad Men finale and Don Draper’s Donlightenment. Remember?
ICYMI: ‘Mad Men’ Ends In Donlightenment (spoilers)
Bonus: At least two TV shows that ended this year (Nurse Betty and Mad Men) included yoga moments in their finales.
There were some great shows we said goodbye to this year. Let’s all join in some deep breaths and take it all in one more time (spoilers ahead).
Did we miss anything?
- YD Talks with ‘Touchy Feely’ Director Lynn Shelton on Reiki, Yoga, Drugs and Letting Go
- Watch: ‘Om City’ Takes A Deeper Look Into The Precarious Adventures Of Yoga Teaching
- That Time Amy Smart Led A Yoga Lesson With Jane Lynch And All The Celebs On Hollywood Game Night
- Mad Men’s Real-Life Yoga Retreat Is In Big Sur