Hey! So did you catch the excerpt of ‘Teaching People, Not Poses’ by Jay Fields? Or were you too busy practicing? Ah hahaha. Trick question. If you’d read the post you’d think that was funny! Maybe. Or maybe we don’t know what you’d find funny, we’re not in your brain. We can’t just fling jokes into the air haphazardly and expect every single person to find them hilarious, can we? (Only to all of the voices in our heads!) Sort of like how some yoga teachers try to cookie cutter their way into being Mala Shakti Miracle, goddess of prana-fication performing a Def Jam’d rendition of Rumi quotes when all they really needed to do was be themselves! Phew. Seems like a lot of work. Need some help?
‘Teaching People, Not Poses’ offers 12 principles for teaching yoga with integrity that may sound simple, but actually take a bit of time and effort that, in the long run, will afford you your own true nuggets of wisdom that will last longer than any of your snazzmatazz yoga pants.
- Be yourself.
- Show your vulnerability and your expertise.
- Teach from your own experience.
- If you don’t know, say you don’t know.
- Stay in your body.
- Don’t take it all so seriously.
- Remember that your students are people.
- Learn anatomy.
- Plan enough so that you can be spontaneous.
- Remember who and what supports you.
- Don’t try to please everyone.
WIN: We’re giving away three copies of Teaching People, Not Poses: 12 Principles for Teaching Yoga With Integrity by Jay Fields. Winners get to choose whether they prefer ebooks (pdf version) or hard copy (they’re actually paperbacks, but you know what we mean.)
TO ENTER: Pick any of the 12 points above and expound on it – ie. have you shared personal experiences teaching yoga? have you been in class with a teacher who was taking her/himself wayyyy too seriously? Alternatively, do you have a #13 to add? Go for it! Share it all in the comments. Let’s make it a discussion-y pow wow. You will not be graded on this.
Giveaway open until 11:59pm Tuesday May 28. Three winners will be chosen at random and announced soon after. Good luck!
Bonus: Jay is leading a corresponding teleseries starting June 11. She is extending the early bird pricing for y-dorks until Friday May 31. That’s 10% or $25 off the cost. If this sounds interesting to you check out her website for more info. www.graceandgrityoga.com
ps. We’re in the midst of a pre-summer reading YD book giveaway series running through May and into June. Stay tuned for another great book each week!
UPDATE: Congrats to Nikki, Sara and Kelly! Thanks to all for entering and sharing in the conversation.
- Book Excerpt: ‘Teaching People, Not Poses’ by Jay Fields
- Book Excerpt: ‘From Meditation to Commodification: Promise & Perils of American Yoga’ from ‘Yoga PhD’ by Carol Horton
- The Yoga Teacher/Student Relationship: Five Senior Teachers Talk Shop
- Ethical Guidelines for Yoga Teachers by Georg Feuerstein, Ph.D.
- What They Don’t Tell You Before You Sign Up for Yoga Teacher Training