It’s a 2012 Year in Review! It’s been a rocking, rollicking year chock full of funny yoga videos, infographics, considerable news, inspirations, revelations and scandals. It’s true, you can’t have a 2012 year in review without scandals. But from the unrest we rise, better equipped to face another year of yoga with open arms and melty hearts and all. Time to put this baby to bed.
Here they are, the biggest, and in some cases, best stories of 2012 compiled very scientifically by popularity, profundity and passed-aroundedness.
1. Fall of John Friend – News broke in early February 2012 of John Friend of Anusara’s alleged involvement in questionable sexual, financial and morally compromising acts. We watched as things unfolded and posted as more news came out of the woodwork, as Anusara morphed and JF reinvented himself. Multiple posts made the top hits but everything can be found here: Running Timeline of Anusara Controversy, Updates and Teacher Resignations
2. Lady Gaga Responds to ‘Fat’ Criticism, Posts Underwear Yoga Pics - Lady Gaga noticeably gained a few pounds and the media pounced. Madame Gaga responded with a big FU and a mission for acceptance.
3. Inspiration. This: Watch This Man’s Crazy Inspiring Transformation After DDP Yoga (video)
4. Big News: Federal Court Rules Bikram Can Not Copyright Asana Sequence - After the year-long lawsuit battle the courts finally ruled yoga poses and sequences can not be copyrighted. Rejoice!
5. Fun! Need we say more, Feather Chai Rainstorm? What Is Your Yogi Name? Read This Chart and Find Out
6. SFO came up with an awesome idea. San Francisco Airport Unveils First of Its Kind ‘Yoga Room’
6a. Dallas couldn’t resist getting in on the action. Healthiest airport? Who’s next? - DFW Opens Yoga Studio in Bid to Become Healthiest Airport
8. Chip Wilson resigns. The interesting and controversial cat who founded Lululemon stepped down following the “John Galt” fiasco and other weirdo stuff (see: what you won’t hear in lulu and 12 bizarrities of lululemon). To his credit, Chip was responsible for some out there, attention-grabbing marketing. Though can’t be blamed for the Barbie doll backlash.
9. Wavy gravy groovy yogis. Your Brain On Meditation [infographic]
10. Yet another upsetting story of abuse of power, this time by Krishnamacharya’s grandson, TKV Desikachar’s son. Update: Sad Details of Kausthub Desikachar’s Psychopathic Abuse of Power, Sexual Misconduct and the Preserving of His Family’s Legacy
11. Yoga Shoes! Nike Introduces Yoga Shoes For Your Inadequate Lady Feet. And these other shoes are karmalicious, apparently.
12. Human Yoga Motorcycle! How Many Yogis Does It Take to Make a Human Motorcycle? [photos]
13. Yoga is big. Like in the top 10 growing industries next to green stuff and hot sauce big, and it’s getting bigger! New 2012 Study Tells Us How Many Millions More Do Yoga and How Many Billions of Dollars It’s Worth
Indeed, there was some big news in yoga this year. We’ll finish with a few 2012 superlatives:
Favorite vintage find: Mick Jagger’s Shoulderstand. Boom.
2012′s Celebriyogi Mascot Award goes to…Russell Brand!
Between his new chakra tattoos, yogaboho style, chatting up the Westboro Baptist Church with the help of Krishna and gifting his Kundalini Yoga teacher a car for Christmas, Rusty earns himself the title of Most Blogged About Celebriyoga Bloke of 2012.
Our Favorite (spam) Comment of the Year:
What i do not understood is if truth be told how you are now not actually a lot more smartly-appreciated than you may be right now. You’re very intelligent. You already know therefore significantly when it comes to this topic, made me personally consider it from numerous various angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be involved except it is something to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. At all times maintain it up!
Which has now become our motto for the year: Maintain it up! Look out 2013.
What do you think was the biggest story of 2012? Which post was your favorite?