While the economy is still looking to bounce back from savasana, some industries have sprung to life and are thriving. According to an IBIS World new report (pdf) on the 10 fastest-growing industries, Yoga as an industry is on the ups, right alongside other hot numbers like self-tanning and spicy sauce.
It’s not super surprising when you consider how much yogapop is poppin’ and even The White House has been getting down with the dog, not to mention an increasing public interest in overall fitness and wellness, and $90 yoga pants.
Here are the Top 10.
1. Generic pharmaceuticals
2. Solar panel manufacturing
3. For-profit universities
4. Pilates and yoga studios
5. Self-tanning product manufacturing
6. 3-D printer manufacturing
7. Social network game development
8. Hot sauce production
9. Green and sustainable building construction
10. Online eyeglasses sales
Though pharmaceuticals don’t exactly have us squealing with joy, it’s nice to see some eco-conscious greenies on the list. Plus, “Pilates and yoga studios” is the only one on the list that notes “no major industry players.” And that gives us some sort of (perhaps false) relief, though there are certainly a few poised players.
So who’s going to create the next eco-conscious yoga studio/video game/self-tanning center where you can make your own yoga pants with the 3-D printers and take a hot sauce bath (the latest and hippest detox trend!)? Bikram? Wanderlust Live? Place your bets.
- Sadie Nardini On Her New ‘Rock Your Yoga’ Show and Changing Reality TV
- New York Magazine on John Friend ‘Karma Crash’ and Anusara Melt-Down – Post-Scandal Interview
- New ‘Rock Your Yoga’ TV Show Will Star Yoga’s Rock Star Sadie Nardini
- Wanderlust LIVE Becomes the Magic Kingdom Anusaraland Could Have Been
- Bikch, please.
- Has Yoga Become a Talent Show? YD Rates Your Best Chances at Yoga Fame