Oh, Bikkie. You make for scintillating headlines, head-shaking of the “no” variety, and the occasional chuckle. Recently, fellow YogaDork YogaDawg dug up a collection of oldie-but-goodie quotes from ol’ Bikram Choudhury. One sweet little gem in particular stood out amongst the eye-widening crowd.
“Why are your legs spread? Women should not spread their legs any time, anywhere! Only in emergencies.”
To this, we say:
Our heads are spinning with all the girl grinding, lady bashing, and “slut shaming” running rampant in a number of misshapen circles these days. We semi-expect this spewing from d-bag politicos, but not from yoga teachers. Non, nyet, nevahhh!
In case anyone else out there has forgotten all the miraculous things that happen when ladies’ legs open, this list is for YOU.
THE BEAUTY & BENEFITS OF LEG-SPREADING 101:
1. This is a contributing factor to the conception of wee babes.
2. Also a contributing element of said baby birthing.
3. Warrior I, II, and III.
4. Ah, recreational conceptive efforts without the intention of conceiving. (Read: HOT SEX)
5. Happy Baby Pose.
6. Taming of wild beasts; i.e., horses, motorcycles, and bicycles.
7. Upavistha Konasana, Baddha Konasana, Hanumanasana, and more.
Peace, poses, and pliés represent.
Lo is the editor-in-chief and master enlightenment lightener-upper at yisforyogini.com. The love child of Bruce Lee and Notorious BIG, she believes that laughter, sick beats, and stretching into the body glove are key elements of a life’s practice. Her latest catch-phrase? “If you can’t hang with the big dogs, stay on the porch.” Woof.
- Bikram Preps Yoga for Olympics, Poses New Meaning of “Competition” with Asana Championships
- Who Said It: Bikram Choudhury or Charlie Sheen? – A YogaDawg Quiz
- Bikram Choudhury: Cult Rock Star, Yogapreneur, Magic Genie Sex Machine
- Has Yoga Become a Talent Show? YD Rates Your Best Chances at Yoga Fame
- Study Finds Teen Yoga is Positively Awesome, Can Improve Health