These documents and timeline (below) were received from an anonymous former employee of Anusara, Inc. and pertain to the claim of pensions being frozen and the violations of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) as listed in the accusations that surfaced last Friday.
Anusara has been contacted via email and phone and given the opportunity to confirm the authenticity or falsehood of the documents and they have not replied. We have the word of the anonymous source that these are 100% authentic, with second anonymous source corroborating the pension issues. If Anusara responds and can prove the documents are false, we will retract them and apologize. Either way, we await a response.
- In December of 2010, the employees in the Woodlands office were told that their pensions had been frozen. When questioned a bit further, management revealed that the freeze had happened in January of 2010.
- Two years later, nobody had received proper 204(h) notice. In December of 2011, they were reported to the Dept of Labor in mid-December.
- At the end of December, I was informed that nothing illegal had happened and that there was nothing I could do. I was unsatisfied with this because what had happened was clearly a violation of ERISA. I pursued further dialogue with the Dept of Labor.
- On January 4, 2012 I received a retroactive freeze notification from January 1, 2010 and a letter apologizing for not receiving it in the timely manner required by law. It even says that they didn’t attempt to be deceptive.
- Soon after I received this notice I spoke with Lisa Reyes at the Dept of Labor. She can be reached at 972-850-4583. She informed me that she believed there was a violation of ERISA and that she would look into it further.
- On January 22nd, 2012 Lisa Reyes called to inform me that Anusara, Inc had been found in violation of ERISA and that she was going to send them correspondence stating that they would have to bring the pension funding current to avoid being cited and turned over to the enforcement department.
- Anusara has since brought everything current. However, the ERISA violation was still an illegal act even if they were not cited, but instead given a grace period to comply.
- John Friend, Head of Anusara: The Accusations
- YogaTuning: Get Up, Stand Up, Free Our Mind
- Sunday Reading: The book The New York Times launched into ‘risky’ territory is reviewed by The New York Times
- This Week In Yoga: Toilet Yoga, John Friend Controversy, Yoga Beefs, Super Bowl Yoga!
- Giants and Patriots Prepare for Super Bowl XLVI with Yoga!