Some of you have hit the snooze button on this already, but, wait! Hear us out. Could 30 Rock’s “Jack” and Beetlejuice‘s breakout star Alec Baldwin become mayor of the greatest city in the world? There’s been talk. Subjectivity and hometown pride aside, this could spell some big changes for the Big Apple. First off, Tina Fey would obviously have to run City Council.
But don’t get your hopes up quite yet, Alec conceded on Letterman Tuesday night that he’s not entirely up for the gig: “Would I rather be handcuffed to the emergency command center in Maspeth during a hurricane, holding down the fort and making sure all the plows are working… or would I rather spend some of that 30 Rock money traveling the world with my girlfriend?” ponders Alec, 53 and finally ready to see the world.
His girlfriend of course, is 27-year-young yoga teacher Hilaria Thomas, whom he introduced on camera and mentioned several times during the interview, in between wide grins and sparkly eyes. He’s had no problem showing off his new love publicly, at the Tonys, at the US Open (above) and frequently on cutesie twitter exchanges. So smitten he is that Mr. Baldwin’s recently dumped his rich guy Upper West Side apartment to move in with his yogini downtown. But has he made appearances at Yoga Vida where she teaches? It seems so! And a slimmed down, cheery-faced Baldwin brother is an encouraging indication. Also this:
Alec Baldwin: vegetarian, PETA supporter, human rights activist, celebriyogi, Mayor of New York City. His first lady, yogipreneur Hilaria Thomas. Take a walk with us to yogatopian NYC.
Top 5 Reasons Alec Baldwin and Yogi Girlfriend Should Run NYC:
1) Hilaria Thomas heads up the initiative to ensure every unlimited metrocard comes with unlimited yoga, instead of grief.
2) Cabbies get “I Break for Ahimsa” bumper stickers and bonus points for “karma yoga” free rides each day. All cabs are equipped with horns that whisper “Namaste” instead of honk.
3) Even the pigeons and rats are cheerful. They greet you every morning on your commute to work with a coffee and a “Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu.” You smile because it’s cute, and the coffee (or tea) is the best you’ve ever tasted. Best day ever, every day.
4) Threats like hurricanes, crime and terrorism don’t stand a chance with the force field of love and Liz Lemon antics at our defense. Have you seen what she does for a sandwich?
5) “Jack Donaghy” scotch-flavored coconut water becomes a reality, tastes awesome and becomes the official drink of NYC.
bonus in fantasyland: free health insurance for all who attend yoga classes 3 times a week!
Watch the full Letterman clip below from 8/30/11, where Alec describes his yoga with Paula McCartney, Lorne Michaels and Ben Bradley et al. And his own turn on Sanskrit skills. Skip to 10:45.