Happiest of happy birthdays to a legend of modern yoga, Sri K Pattabhi Jois. The student of T. Krishnamacharya and founder of Ashtanga yoga, the vigorous vinyasa practice we know today (and Madonna‘s fave), would have turned 96 this year. Guruji passed away in May 2009, but his legacy lives on on the mat, and in his famous words, “Practice, practice, practice, practice and all is coming.”
We send the biggest birthday wishes out to Guruji and if we had to pick a song to blast into space for the occasion, it’d be a tie between John Parr’s “St. Elmo’s Fire,” Van Halen’s “Right Now” and the Rocky theme song.
- Epic Ashtanga Yoga Confluence March 2012, Not Your Regular Yoga Festival – Registration Open
- Watch Sharath Jois Teach First Ever Ashtanga Yoga Webcast LIVE
- Remembering Pattabhi Jois a Year After His Passing
- What’s Your Yoga? Take the Quiz, Flowchart Style!
- ‘An overly brief and incomplete history of yoga’ Flowchart! Updated!