It is sweltering hot! But hey, it’s summer, are we not supposed to be sweating like heathens in an ashram? We salute the sun after all, so let’s show that bright shining ball in the sky that we are grateful for all it does, but for the love of ice cubes, we could use a breather!
6 Yoga Tips to Beat the Summer Heat
1. The Frozen Jane Fonda: Strap on the sweat bands – that you pre-wet and froze in the freezer (of course), along with your mat towel. Work it out!
2. Slip n’ Slide Yoga: Have a body of water nearby? A baby pool, hose or a spigot? Lay down a few mats and slither like a cobra (bonus: Sitali “cooling” breath – curl your tongue behind your teeth and “hiss” through your inhale. Exhale through your nose. repeat.). Or if you’re lucky enough, hop in the pool and do your best impression of a watery warrior. (avoid underwater pranayama).
3. Pratipaksha Bhavana: Think it’s hot? Think again! Just reverse your thoughts. It’s actually snowing, and you’re huddled up in your igloo Eskimo style. Look! There’s a polar bear. brrrrr…
5. If you can’t beat em, Bikram: So it’s 105 degrees and humid – the perfect conditions for a FREE hot yoga class. When life hands you hell, do the devil’s yoga! (oh, we kid the Bikrammers)
6. Freestyle Yoga: All of you exhibitionists, this is your chance to shine. You know all those shops downtown will be blasting the AC, so don your favorite yoga duds and make like a mobile posing mannequin.
However you plan to spend your sticky summer days, slather on the sunblock, drink plenty of water, and be sure to give yourself a sweet and cool savasana.
Have more tips to keep your cool?