As we yanks set forth in celebrations of Independence let us recall the week in Yoga, and lift our glasses in a toast to freedom! (aand…fireworks, barbecues and days off!) Here’s a quick little recap of what happened ‘This Week in Yoga’, followed by your favorite, Yogini Martini, patriotic style.
This Week in Yoga:
Explosive! Adriana Lima is a Model of a Yoga Mama, seriously. [Celebriyogis]
Traitors! Batten the hatches, pirates are trying to make you betray Lulu! [Knockoffs Abound! Lululemon Fends Off Black Market Pirates]
Unstatesmanlike Conduct! Sarah Palin demonstrates for us her best ‘Tree’ pose and then goes ahead and uproots herself as Governer of Alaska. [Sarah Palin Runs Wild, Panders to Yoga-bama Nation]
Statesmanlike Sports! What’s more American than baseball you say? Erm…baseball and yoga? sorta maybe? [LA Dodgers’ Andre Ethier Wants to Practice Yoga With You! (fees apply)]
Celebration! We celebrated with our neighbors in the Great White North and wished them well in their supervised beer-dozing Drunkasana, eh? [Because It’s Canada Day! And Almost Interpendrunken Yoga Day]
And now without further ado…
Yogini Martini: With Liberty and Just(Watermelon)Ice For All
(inspired by Martha Stewart)
- 7 1/2 pounds seedless watermelon, rind removed, fruit cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons agave (if desired)
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) silver tequila
- 24 basil leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 3 ounces (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) triple sec
- 6 cups small ice cubes
- Place 24 watermelon cubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Cover, and freeze at least 1 hour (up to 2 days).
- Puree remaining watermelon and agave in a blender until smooth. Pass through a sieve lined with cheesecloth into a bowl. (You should have 3 cups.)
- Place tequila and basil in a glass pitcher, and crush with a wooden spoon. Stir in watermelon juice and triple sec.
- Pour and serve with frozen watermelon cubes! Not officially a martini, but you can serve in martini glass 🙂
Of course this can be made for teeny yoginis/yogis too, without the alcohol (try a little OJ or splash of lemon/lime)
Enjoy! Remember drink and yoga responsibly. Happy Fourth!